Sunday, September 15, 2013

September 15, 2013 - Grumpy Old Man

I am about to start my 5th week of medical leave and 11th week off steroids.  Last weekend was a low point for me because I was scheduled to drive to Lubbock to watch the Texas Tech vs. TCU game.  I have two daughters that go to Texas Tech and one marches in the Goin' Band from Raiderland.   Going to the games with my wife and visiting our daughters is one of my very favorite things to do.  It was seriously depressing missing the game, but I was glad it was televised on ESPN and Texas Tech is now 3-0.  I found a good video of the halftime show (remember when they actually showed the halftime show on TV?) on YouTube, and the marching band was awesome!

The edema in my legs is nearly gone, but I am keeping my feet up almost continuously.  I spend essentially the entire day either in a recliner with my feet up, sleeping on the couch, or in the tub.  I take 3 to 4 baths a day.  Usually, the bath will calm down the itching for a few hours.


I will occasionally attempt to actually do something, such as work on the pool, but the pain in my feet will quickly return.  Also, it has been pretty hot outside and I am still really struggling with temperature control.  If I get over-heated I'll get into the itch/scratch hot/cold cycle and head again to the bath.  I've gone to Lowe's a couple times for pool supplies and a new issue has arisen:  being self-conscious.  Up until a week or so ago, my symptoms could be covered up more or less by wearing long pants and a long sleeved shirt.  Looks a little weird in 100 degree heat, but nobody seems to care.  Now, my hands and eyes have become affected.  Here's a couple photos:





I have a doc appointment this Tuesday.  I'm not sure what to expect, as I am not better.  It will be interesting to see if they pressure me to use steroids again.  I won't do it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment